Riding or keeping a horse is an exhilarating adventure. Although the four-legged creature cannot speak back at you, they make a good companion all the same. It is because of this that you need to give it the best treatment that money can buy. However good that is, you should know that you shouldn’t always give your horse a treat every time it shows a pleading face. Treats can be used as a reward for good behavior and can also be a good way to train the horse. If you are looking for ways to give your horse the best treat, then read till the end.
- What to Offer as a Treat?
- What to Not Offer as a Treat?
- How Much Should You Offer?
- Top 15 Best Horse Treats review
- Equus Magnificus German Horse Muffins in Ziploc pouch
- Flix9 lb, 100% Flaxseed Healthy Treats for Horses, High in Omega-3
- Omega Nibblers Low Sugar & Starch
- Manna Pro Bite-Size Nuggets Horse treats
- Standle Hay Company Horse Treat
- Probios Horse Soft Chews, Apple Flavor, Net Weight 1.32 lbs (600 Grams)
- Purina Carrot and Oat Flavored Horse Treats, 2.5 lb bag
- The German Beet Treat
- Purina Outlast Horse Treats, 3.5 lb
- Purina Carb Conscious Horse Treat, 5 lb
- Squeezy Buns Treats for horses, Approx 65pc- 3lb Tub
- Omega Nibblers Blackstrap Molasses 3 horse treat
- Hilton Herbs Herballs Horse Treat
- Dover Saddlery Paddock Cakes Gummy Frog Cakes Horse Treats 2lb
- Uncle Jimmy’s Hanging Balls- Horse treat
What to Offer as a Treat?
Apples and carrot are traditional favorites for horses. You can also feed them healthy fruits and vegetables like raisins, banana, pumpkin, grapes, strawberries, or snow peas. Ensure that you cut the treat into smaller pieces before feeding. A commercial made treat is the favorite for many horses and it can be stored better than vegetables and fruits while traveling. Sugar cubes are also wonderful treats for horses.
What to Not Offer as a Treat?
Avoid feeding the following vegetables to your horses. They include potatoes, cabbage, onions, tomatoes, brussels sprouts, and other food that belongs to the nightshade family or can produce intestinal gas. If your horse will be taking a drug test, do not feed it with chocolate. Although the horse will enjoy it, the drug test will be positive. Fresh bread and donuts should also be avoided as they cause a blockage in the digestive tract.
How Much Should You Offer?
Horses eat a little amount of food continually, hence your horse will want another treat in no time. Horse treats add unwanted calories to the horse, which is one of the reasons why you shouldn’t feed your horse at all times. Besides, the digestive tract of a horse contains a delicate balance in its intestinal function. Therefore, it is easy to affect the balance with high-calorie intake.
Let’s consider some a few tips on how to give your horse a healthy treating:
- It is ideal to ensure that you choose the feed that is good for your horse (Read what to offer as a treat above, if you don’t have an idea of what to give your horse). Good food should be healthful and formulated with the right ingredient that will not hurt him. If you need to know about a healthy commercial treat for your horse, we’ve got a list of the best horse treats below.
- Feed him the right amount. Remember that the digestive tract of your horse will be upset with many calories. Hence, feeding it too many calories will be harmful. Instead of spending time feeding him, spend time bonding, and reward good behavior with a good treat.
- Teach your horse some respect for a treat. He should only take a treat when he is offered. Just as you feed your horse to keep him alive, reward specific behavior, and train him with a treat. Let him develop respect for treats by denying him when he thinks he will get it. You can hold the treat then go on to just play with him for a while. After spending time together, teach your horse a few commands. You can then call him back and offer him the treat.
Top 15 Best Horse Treats review
If you want a pick on the best commercially made horse food available, here are your options.
Equus Magnificus German Horse Muffins in Ziploc pouch
The Equus Magnificus German Horse Muffins in Ziploc pouch is an all-natural horse feed. Its ingredients include oats, corn, soybean oil, beet pulp, wheat flour, molasses products, bran, and other vitamin supplements. The Equus horse feed is soft and moist. If you have a horse that does not like peppermints and dry horse cookies, try this out. Picky horses usually fall in love with this treat- according to customer reviews. This product has lots of comments from customers to be the best feed for their horses.
- Soft and moist
- Ideal for picky horses
- Delicious aroma
- It is great for giving medications
- The bag is not resealable and the treat might dry out quickly
Flix9 lb, 100% Flaxseed Healthy Treats for Horses, High in Omega-3
This treat promotes a shiny and healthy coat. You might not need to cut it into smaller pieces as it comes in a bite-size. If your horse experiences joint stiffness, you can care for it well with this treat as it doubles as a medicine and a treat at the same time. The treat helps to support thyroid functions, relieve skin conditions, boost immunity, aid glucose metabolism, and reduce allergy symptoms.
- No sugar added
- High in omega 3
- Anti-inflammatory properties
- Not ideal for a horse with a tooth condition
Omega Nibblers Low Sugar & Starch
Omega Nibblers Low Sugar & Starch helps to alleviate soothe aching muscles, stiff and immobile joints, and also decrease inflammation. It restores cracked or brittle hooves, eliminates bug bite soars, and sweet itch. Plus, it promotes a healthy and shiny coat. There are a lot of medical benefits packed in this one treat that you can say it is not just a treat but also a medication.
- Natural horse supplements
- Natural Omega EFA
- Low in non-structural carbohydrates
- Not ideal for picky horses
Manna Pro Bite-Size Nuggets Horse treats
We could say this treat is out to give your horse a taste of something great. Its manufacturer guarantees a great taste for your horse. The Manna Pro Bite-Size Nuggets Horse treats
Comes with a full refund guarantee. This way, there is a back way out of unsatisfied purchases. It has a great value of over 300 horse treats per bag.
- Great taste
- Packed with vitamins and minerals
- Some users complained of late product delivery
Standle Hay Company Horse Treat
This feed is suitable for all horse life stages and not just for a specific horse class. It is an all-natural feed that provides your horse with free-access to fresh and clean water. It is packed to stay fresh so you will not have to throw it away quickly. The Standle Hay company horse treat can be used as a reward during daily training however, it is not recommended to make it the only feed for your horse.
- Mini cube design
- Natural ingredient
- Great reward for horses
- It is not recommended for horses with dental issues
Probios Horse Soft Chews, Apple Flavor, Net Weight 1.32 lbs (600 Grams)
It helps to maintain a healthy and balanced digestive system in all classes of horses. It is a great pick for traveling, training, showing, deworming, and can be used after antibiotic therapy or during digestive disorder. The Probios horse soft chews help to maintain proper gut flora and support gut absorption.
- Apple flavor
- Supports digestion
- Soft chew
- Requires cutting into smaller pieces
Purina Carrot and Oat Flavored Horse Treats, 2.5 lb bag
The Purina carrot and oat flavored horse treat is excellent in size, easy to eat, and has a great taste that horses will love. Show your horse some love with this treat. It is a perfect nutritional complement to any horse feed- your horse will like its taste, flavor, shape.
- Horses love it
- Nice quality
- Great feed complement
- A single pack won’t last for long.
The German Beet Treat
This is a high fiber horse treat with natural ingredients. It is specially made to promote the wellbeing of your horse and enhance a happy moment for both of you. It contains no preservatives, artificial flavors, or colors. The German Beet treat is ideal for young-adult horses.
- Molasses product
- It is soft and chewy
- It is not sticky
- Not for all ages
Purina Outlast Horse Treats, 3.5 lb
While some horse treats cause digestion upset to the horse, the Purina Outlast Horse Treat has an outlast gastric support supplement. You can feed it to your horse at home or on the road. You can also feed this treat to your dog as many animals love it.
- Ideal for mini horses
- It is easier to take than feed supplement
- Small quantity
Purina Carb Conscious Horse Treat, 5 lb
Show your horse some love with yet another Purina horse treat that is ideal for metabolic issues. It helps to support and maintain the optimal glucose and insulin response to feeding. This treat has a great taste and it is low in sugar and starch. It is a perfect nutritional complement to any horse feed. You will feel good for rewarding your horse with this treat.
- Horses love the taste
- Low starch
- Low sugar
- Not recommended to be a sole treat source
Squeezy Buns Treats for horses, Approx 65pc- 3lb Tub
The Squeezy Buns Treats for horses, Approx 65pc- 3lb Tub gives you more than a handful of treats for your horse. Packaged in a plastic container, it is easy to preserve for a longer time. The Squeezy buns treat is a nutritious bite-sized treat with a great taste. The treats are individually wrapped to preserve their freshness and to eliminate mess. The natural treat with nutritional ingredients is one of the best horse treats.
- Treat is individually wrapped
- Easy to preserve
- Suitable for all horse age class
- It is a bit dry
Omega Nibblers Blackstrap Molasses 3 horse treat
This is a convenient supplement option for picky horses. It is also a perfect size for clicker training. It is a functional treat that contains the best ratios of the full spectrum of natural omega EFA. The Omega Nibblers molasses treat is a natural horse supplement without artificial preservatives. As a result, it promotes a healthy, shiny coat, and aids shedding out in spring.
- Reduces sweet itch and bug bite sores
- It benefits pregnant mares
- Sufficient for more than one horse
- Not ideal for adult horses
Hilton Herbs Herballs Horse Treat
This is another natural food supplement to treat your horse to. Natural ingredients and easy usage characterize the product. Plus, it has is relatively big enough to let you feed your horse without biting your hands off. Since it contains no sugar and corn, the treat does not cause an allergic reaction.
- It has a nice smell
- Big enough for handy use
- It is tasty
- The pack is not resealable
Dover Saddlery Paddock Cakes Gummy Frog Cakes Horse Treats 2lb
This is a great apple-flavored gummy frog candy from paddock cakes. Just an ounce of this chewy cookie will make a long-lasting impression on your horse. It is a great way to thank your horse for good behavior. The Dover paddock cake gummy frog cookie contains mashed apples, flaxseed, and cane molasses.
- Natural ingredients
- It is yummy
- It contains molasses
- Not ideal for all horses
Uncle Jimmy’s Hanging Balls- Horse treat
The package of this treat is enticing to the eye with its ice-cream pack look. It’s referred to as the original boredom buster as stall boredom treats for horses. It has a carrot flavor, a feature that is premium if your horse if he likes carrots. It contains natural ingredients and other essential vitamins and minerals. More than this, it is ideal for all classes of horses. You will be glad you feed this treat to your horse.
- Natural ingredients
- Safe ingredients
- It can be easily preserved
- A bit pricey
Now that you have the best treats at your reach, make you’re a good choice from any of the products we have listed above. We recommend that you read through the instructions as not all the treats work for all horses. To be safe, we suggest that you can contact a horse trainer to get clarity as to the exact treat that is suitable for your horse.